Why You Should Never Eat The 'Clean' Part Of Mouldy Bread - ZUMIZUMI

Don’t Do It! Why It’s Dangerous To Eat The ‘Clean’ Part Of Mouldy Bread

mouldy bread
You bring your loaf of bread out of the fridge. Then you see some green stuff on one slice or two. No problem right? You simply cut off the yucky greenish part and the rest is as good as new.

Well, as it turns out, this is one of the worst things you can do. The idea of cutting off part of mouldy bread is based on the belief that the mould is contained to only a portion of the bread. But just because you cannot see the mould in other areas, it doesn’t mean it’s not there.

The mould you see is formed by a fungus called hyphae. And the truth is, once it has started growing in one spot, it has already affected the entire loaf of bread. This stuff first begins to spread beneath the surface before it becomes visible to the human eye. So, you cannot really base the decision of whether or not to eat the bread on how it looks on the outside.

mouldy bread

(Photo: CureJoy)

Keep in mind that mould is very dangerous and can cause infections which may potentially be deadly if not treated properly. You may get ill eating mouldy bread and you may not. But the question is, do you really want to risk it?

You can watch the video below, courtesy of Business Insider, for a more in-depth explanation:

 

For more on making smart food choices, find out which is better for you, whole eggs or just egg whites.

Comments

comments

READ  How To Ask A Guy On A Date Without Looking Awkward

JOIN THE #ZUMI SQUAD

Get the latest in fashion, beauty and lifestyle straight to your inbox.

More from

Life