We know what you’re thinking. “How to wash synthetic wigs with fabric softener“? Can synthetic wigs even be washed?” The answer is yes! And we can show you how.
Synthetic wigs can be a real lifesaver sometimes. Besides being the less versatile alternatives to human hair wigs, they can be an affordable means to an end. Get the right style and you’ll have a wig that sticks closer than a BFF. However, over time synthetic wigs can become very brittle, hard to manage and tangled. In this case, you now understand Kronos‘ theory of mercy killing. Sometimes you just have to let things go, right? Well, not after this post on how to wash synthetic wigs with fabric softener.
Synthetic wigs have been dealt a bad hand. Due to the synthetic fibres developing static electricity or charge, especially during dry weather, they can tangle and loose shape. The hair’s negatively charged ions cause static cling when they accumulate. Now your hair looks like you were hit by lightning. However, we’ve learned that fabric softeners are the right tool you need to get your hair looking fabulous again.
Here’s how it works
Fabric softeners are typically used in laundering clothes. We use them to “soften” fabric usually towards the end of the wash. This is the same way it works for synthetic wigs. The fabric softener typically comes with positively charged ions that help balance out the excess negative ions present in the hair. Think of it as a conditioner for your synthetic wig. It leaves your hair feeling softer, often regaining its original smoothness, shape and style.
You should try out this method
Now, if you want to know how to wash synthetic wigs with fabric softener, then you’ve got to try this method.
- A spray bottle
- Some fabric softener (Make sure you check the ingredients for which ones you might be allergic to)
- Cold water
- Put two parts of liquid fabric softener into the spray bottle, followed by two parts of cold water. It is important to use cold water as hot water will shrink or damage the synthetic fibres of the hair.
- Shake the contents very well to ensure they are mixed in properly.
- For curly wigs, spray the wig with the solution and leave in a towel to air dry overnight. Ensure you do not rub the hair with the towel to reduce static.
- For straight wigs, spray the hair with the solution and leave on a wig stand or hook to air dry overnight. Be sure not to brush the hair wet. Leave to air dry and brush only when completely dry.
And voila! Soft, almost brand new hair that you can enjoy for another couple of months. Make sure you share this post with your friends and we’ll see you in our next post. By the way, have you met Temi? She’s a writer who makes gorgeous wigs.
Featured Image: XOJane.com
If you loved this post you’ll love our Instagram feed. Check it out now!